Service learning is an academic program at College of DuPage that relies upon the community to work as a co-educator for a wide variety of courses. Through this program, your instructor provides you with an opportunity to participate in community service that is directly related to the theories and issues you are discussing in class. Service learning offers students a chance to master coursework content, while making a real difference in their community.
Service Learning Benefits for Students
- Service learning strengthens analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Students have the opportunity to gain real-world experience while learning their coursework and building their resumes.
- Students can become involved in assisting with an issue that is affecting their community.
- Service learning teaches citizenship and social responsibility skills that can last a lifetime.
Points to Consider When Choosing a Placement Site
- Course objectives: What does your instructor want you to gain from this experience?
- Time frame: Will you be able to work during the posted hours of operation in this placement description?
- Location: Is your placement near your home or on your way to and from COD?
- Population: Is this a population you are interested in helping?
View Service Learning Placement Sites offered for your course.
Attend the Service Learning Fair, September 5 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the SSC Atrium
to meet community partners.
Step Four: Service Learning Registration Form
Complete the Service Learning Registration Form and click submit.
Step Five: Service Learning Contract
Print a copy of the Service Learning Contract. The contract must be signed by you, your instructor and your site supervisor the first day of work at your Service Learning Site. Once all of the signatures are collected make three copies. One copy for yourself, one for your instructor and one for the Career Services Center and drop it off in SSC 3258.
Step Six: Service Learning Program Hours Log
Create an account with for MyInternshipJournal using the authorization key provided. Start tracking your hours! It's simple and quick! Site Supervisors will be able to approve your hours along with Faculty and the Career Services Center! Questions? Contact Krystina LaSorsa at (630) 942-2230.
Student Services Center (SSC) Room 3258
Fax: (630) 942-4596
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.