College of DuPage student Jesus Arriaga Sanchez talks about his experience as a first-generation student.
Counselors, advisors, admissions representatives, navigators and more are available to help first-generation students navigate the community college experience.
Common Questions about the First-Generation Experience
These frequently asked questions can help you navigate and explore the first-generation college experience.
When you need assistance, a variety of offices and support areas are available to help you find the support you need.
- Admission Representatives help you get started with the application process.
- Counseling, Advising and Transfer Services help you develop your academic plan and provide career and personal counseling.
- The Learning Commons can help you with math assistance, tutoring services, writing, reading and speech assistance.
- Members from the Office of Financial Assistance can answer any questions you have about applying for financial aid.
- The Fuel Pantry provides food and essentials for currently enrolled COD students facing food insecurity.
- Student Life provides information and assistance about life on campus and offers services that help with college life.
First-generation students have unique challenges that are different from the traditional college student. Not all first-generation students have the same experience or same struggles. Many have difficulty with the psychological, financial and academic obligations that college provides.
The Counseling, Advising and Transfer Services offers counselors, advisors and mentors to support students and provide connections to helpful resources. There is also a first-generation student group for building connections with faculty, staff and other students.
There are many options for students to gain more confidence. From visiting an office or support service to seeking counseling for advice and assistance, COD provides resources to help you grow and succeed. You can also join a student club or organization to meet students and find fun events on campus to enhance your college experience.
The Admissions Office is operating during regular business hours:
- Monday and Tuesday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: (630) 942-2626
Chat: Chat Online