Transfer Information

Associate in Engineering Science (AES) Degree Requirements

A minimum of 68 semester hours (102 quarter-hours) is required for the A.E.S. degree.

  • Communication (6 hours):
    ENGLI 1101, 1102

  • Humanities, Fine Arts and Social Sciences (3 to 12):
    Up to 9 hours Humanities and Fine Arts
    Up to 9 hours Social Sciences

  • Mathematics (18):
    MATH 2231, 2232, 2233, 2270

  • Physics (10 to 15):
    PHYSICS 2111, 2112 are required.
    PHYSICS 2115 is optional but counts toward 68 hours (see transfer guides if needed for your major).

  • Chemistry (5 to 20):
    CHEM 1551 is required.
    CHEM 1552, 2551, 2552 are optional but count toward 68 hours (see transfer guides if needed for your major).

  • Computer Science (3):
    CIS 2480 or CIS 2485

  • Engineering (8 to 23 hrs):
    ENGIN 1101, 2201, 2202, 2203, 2205, 2210, 2213 (see transfer guides if needed for your major)

  • Biology (0 to 5):
    BIOLO 1151 (see transfer guides if needed for your major)

When planning your program, be sure to consider the math, science and engineering (PDF) sequences. You may find the checklist useful, especially if your degree will include both quarter and semester credit.

Unofficial Engineering Transfer Guides (PDFs)
By discipline

Bioengineering, Computer Engineering and Computer Science Bachelor of Science degrees vary greatly depending upon the university and field of specialty. For these degrees, it is best to look at the individual transfer guides for each university.

By University

Social Science/Humanities Transfer Guide
Approximately six Social Science/Humanities courses are required for the baccalaureate degree. Since only up to four can be counted toward the AES degree, the AES degree is not sufficient to fulfill your general education requirements at your transfer institution. Therefore, it is extremely important to take courses that will transfer into the correct categories at your final institution. Use this guide to help in selecting social science and humanities courses.

Foreign Language
A foreign language is required only at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). At this point, no other programs require a foreign language. The requirement at UIUC is for three years of a single foreign language in high school or the equivalent in college. Note that college credit may not be applied toward degree requirements at UIUC or COD.

CIS Elective
Most engineering programs require at least one course in a high-level programming language. If you have not chosen a curriculum or college, then C for Engineers is the best choice (CIS 2485).


Contact Information

David S. Smith, Ph.D.
Faculty Advisor, Associate Professor of Engineering
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3610B, (630) 942-2418

Health and Sciences Division
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 1220, (630) 942-8331