The Center for Cyber Defense Education develops, promotes and supports collaboration and innovation in security technologies and management, information security and digital forensics.
As a certified Cisco Networking Academy, a certified CompTIA Academy and a Microsoft Imaging Academy, College of DuPage sits at the forefront of affordable computer education. The College provides state-of-the-art training, hands-on skills and credentials that are in demand by the industry and necessary to begin a successful career in cyber security and information assurance.
Located on the COD campus, the award-winning Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center allows for opportunities for interdisciplinary educational projects and collaborative experiences across computer, criminal justice and security disciplines.
Determine Your Path
The Center for Cyber Defense Education provides development opportunities for students that lead to a two year associate's degree in Cybersecurity and Education as well as certification in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance.
Whether you are interested in a degree in Cybersecurity and Defense or a certificate in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, COD offers:
- Dedicated professors and instructors with a combination of technical industry experience, technical degrees, technical certifications and teaching experience.
- IT training in excellent facilities, such as the Seaton Computing Center (SCC) and Berg Instructional Center (BIC).
- Hands-on experience using production-type equipment.
- Affordable and accredited classes.
- Industry approved, relevant, up-to-date curriculum.
- Industry aligned technical certifications.
- Stackable credentials that allow students to begin their career while growing their expertise.
- Program approval from Cisco Networking Academy, CompTIA Academy, VMware Academy, Microsoft Academy and Center for Cyber Defense Education.
Cybersecurity and Defense
The Cybersecurity and Defense Associate in Applied Science degree provides students with a comprehensive foundation in the principles of cybersecurity.
The program covers computers and justice studies, homeland security, networks, routing and switching, servers and virtualization.
The Cybersecurity Specialist certificate provides a foundation in basic principles of cybersecurity. It covers function of networks, operating systems and security principles.
Information Assurance and Cyber Defense Training
Designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), College of DuPage can issue a certificate on the behalf of the NSA/DHS confirming a student's competency in a set of core knowledge units designated as a requirement by NSA/DHS in the area of Information Assurance and Cyber Defense. These core knowledge units include:
- Basic Data Analysis
- Basic Scripting
- Cyber Defense
- Cyber Threats
- Fundamental Security Design Principles
- IA Fundamentals
- Intro to Cryptography
- IT Systems Components
- Networking Concepts
- Policy, Legal, Ethics and Compliance
- System Administration
Get Started Today
The first step to getting started in cybersecurity and defense is to apply for admission.
Academic and Career Pathways give you a roadmap to achieving your career goals. Follow a pathway based on your degree that outlines which classes you need to take and when so you graduate on time or move on to the next phase in your career.
College of DuPage has several computer and information technology transfer agreements in place with four-year colleges and universities to save you time, money and make the transfer process easier.
Many of these agreements with other colleges and universities have specific course requirements and a pre-determined course plan that needs to be followed to be eligible to transfer. Contact a program faculty member or academic advisor to learn more as course requirements vary by institution.
Students completing the Cyber Security degree can apply for jobs such as a network administrator, services specialist, support specialist, computer user support, customer service, technical support and systems administrator.
In addition, students can sit for the following industry certifications:
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Linux+
- CompTIA Security+
- Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- Microsoft Certified Solution Associate (MCSA)