The Travel and Tourism program is for individuals who want to enter the travel industry or for professionals who want to update their skills. Earn an Associate in Applied Science in Travel and Tourism or complete a variety of hospitality courses to earn a travel and tourism certificate.
COD faculty share their knowledge and expertise from the industry. Faculty are involved in numerous organizations and associations outside of COD to offer networking opportunities for students.
Career opportunities are available in an exciting variety of areas including airlines, cruise ships, travel agencies, tour operators, destination management companies, tourism bureaus and convention industries.
Determine Your Path
Students with a creative flair can discover a career as a travel writer, brochure designer or photographer.
Whether you are preparing for a career in hospitality or tourism, planning to transfer or updating your skills, College of DuPage has the right program for you. We offer:
- Dedicated instructors with years of practical industry and teaching experience.
- Flexible schedules with day and evening classes.
- Affordable classes.
- Articulated transfer program with several prestigious institutions.
- Programs designed to prepare students with the skills that are in demand by today’s employers.
- Study Abroad opportunities to locations such as Budapest and Prague.
- Member of the American Society of Travel Agents.
Travel and Tourism, Associate in Applied Science
The Travel and Tourism Associate in Applied Science teaches students the principles of the travel and tourism industry. The Travel and Tourism degree requires a minimum of 65 credits.
Travel and Tourism Professional
The Travel and Tourism Professional certificate requires 36 credits. Students take classes in world destinations, travel geography, global distribution systems, cruise industry sales and more.
Travel and Tourism Foundations
The Travel and Tourism Foundations certificate prepares student for entry into the travel and tourism industry. The certificate requires 12 credits. Students take classes in travel and tourism and world destinations.
"COD made it possible for me to attend classes that ultimately led to my current career. Anyone considering a career in the travel industry should seriously consider attending COD.” - Amy KolesarAmy's COD Story
"My advice for students is to not quit and to listen to follow your own journey on your path to your personal greatness.” - Elizabeth BooneElizabeth's COD Story
Get Started Today
The first step to getting started in travel and tourism is to apply for admission.
Academic and Career Pathways
Determine the pathway you need to take to graduate on time.
Hospitality and Tourism Program graduates will
- Engage in critical analysis and creative thinking
- Apply the basic principles of analytical thinking and problem solving when examining hospitality management issues
- Analyze trends and organizational data and develop business strategies for the hospitality industry
- Collect and evaluate information to make sound decisions
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate concepts and theories across functional business domains (e.g. Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, Operations, etc.)
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to function effectively in a diverse and global organizational environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in the application of selected technology
- Synthesize core concepts in the areas of hospitality accounting, finance, human resources, marketing, operations, and quantitative methods
- Demonstrate personal and professional standards for ethical decision-making and social behavior
- Evaluate personal and professional goals and development based on perceived strengths and potential for life-long learning
- Demonstrate the ability to read, listen, and clearly express themselves using written, oral, visual, and quantitative methods to communicate effectively with superiors, coworkers, customers, and members of the community
- Demonstrate leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal skills needed for managing diverse and global hospitality operations
College of DuPage has several travel and tourism in place with four-year colleges and universities to save you time, money and make the transfer process easier.
Many of these agreements with other colleges and universities have specific course requirements and a pre-determined course plan that needs to be followed to be eligible to transfer. Contact a program faculty member or academic advisor to learn more as course requirements vary by institution.