The Speech Communication program offers a variety of speech courses specifically designed by faculty experts to prepare students to be successful during their academic career as well in almost all occupations.
Speech classes are a great way to develop career skills, whether you are a speech major or simply exploring the field as part of your general education. Skills include group interaction strategies, poise and confidence in public speaking, productive techniques for conflict resolution, the artistic development of creativity and interactive approaches to corporate culture and public relations.
Students can also benefit from participating in the Forensics (Speech and Debate) Team. Activities include oral interpretation, public speaking and readers theater.
Determine Your Path
From disc jockey to college administrator, from youth counselor to campaign director, from television personality to real estate developer, careers in speech are as diverse as the people who make up our culture.
The Speech Communication program offers:
- Dedicated instructors with years of education and professional experience.
- Instruction utilizing top-notch facilities and resources.
- Affordable programs to help students achieve success without creating overwhelming debt.
- Small class sizes that ensure students receive personalized attention from instructors.
- Articulated partnerships with respected four-year colleges and universities.
- An award-winning Forensics Team and two-year division champ at the Illinois All-State Speech and Debate Tournament.
Explore Speech Communication
The Speech Communication program at COD offers courses specifically designed by faculty experts to prepare students to be successful during their academic career as well as professionally in most all occupations.
Join the Forensic Team
The Forensic (speech and debate) Team at College of DuPage has consistently won top honors at the national level tournaments for two-year and four-year institutions, including top honors at the Illinois Intercollegiate Forensics Association State Tournament, Cerritos Invitational (California), Gorlok Gala (St. Louis), Phi Rho Pi Two-Year National Championships, Pi Kappa Delta Nationals, Novice Nationals, and the American Forensics Association National Tournament.
Many students have gone on to compete at four-year institutions and earn academic and competitive scholarships. Many team members have reached the top of their career fields, ranging from law to accounting, health care and entertainment. Both John and Jim Belushi are former members of the team.
Get Started Today
The first step to getting started in speech communication is to apply for admission.
Academic and Career Pathways give you a roadmap to achieving your career goals. Follow a pathway based on your degree that outlines which classes you need to take and when so you graduate on time or move on to the next phase in your career.
Students who complete courses in Speech will:
- Understand human behavior and the communication process in various contexts
- Explain communication theories in the creation of messages for diverse audiences
- Construct and deliver both verbal and nonverbal messages for diverse audiences and purposes
- Demonstrate critical evaluation skills in assessing messages for effectiveness
- Employ information literacy skills necessary for communicative purposes
“Being at COD has been a life-changing experience because at a community college, school really becomes about you. Here at COD, success directly correlates to how many times you fail, learn and pick yourself right back up." - Veronica WilliamsVeronica's COD Story
“By choosing COD, you are making the best decision you could make and one that others often regret not making. In addition to saving money and receiving an excellent education in return, you will find COD to be a comfortable place to explore your interests." -Harry BodellHarry's COD Story
“The education I received at COD went beyond what was taught in the classroom. I learned how to become an advocate for what I believe in and how to express my ideas in an articulate manner." - Melissa EntzmingerMelissa's COD Story
“I walked out of two years at COD and two years at NIU with no student debt and set up for success in my adult life. With any school you go to, it’s what you make of it and you can make COD some amazing years you look back on fondly.” - Stephen DeFalcoStephen's COD Story
Explore careers based on your interest, location and salary range or view top occupations by income.