International students who apply for admission to College of DuPage are required to submit TOEFL iBT or IELTS Academic test scores as part of the admission process. A minimum TOEFL score of 40 or an IELTS score of 3 is required for admission to the College.
- Students with a TOEFL iBT score of 79 or higher or an IELTS Academic score of 6.5 or higher will be considered college-ready and will be eligible to enroll in academic courses.
- Students with a TOEFL iBT score of 40-78 or an IELTS Academic score of 3-6 will complete all relevant placement exams and will be placed in English 1101 or Academic ESL courses per the current placement guidelines.
- Students with a TOEFL iBT score of 39 or lower or an IELTS Academic score of 2.5 or lower will not be eligible for admission to College of DuPage.
The following may qualify for an exemption to the TOEFL and IELTS requirement:
- International students from countries** where English is the primary/native language.
- International students who have taken ACT with a composite score of 20 or higher.
- International students who have graduated from a U.S. high school.
- International students who have successfully completed English 1101 or equivalent at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- International students who have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- International students currently residing in the United States and enrolled at language training schools are required to demonstrate language proficiency by completing the TOEFL iBT, IELTS Academic test, ACT or College of DuPage Kaplan International Tools for English placement test*.
*Students must complete both Parts 1 and 2 of the College of DuPage Kaplan International Tools for English placement test:
- Part 1: Listening, Reading and Grammar
- Part 2: Writing and Speaking
A review of the online sample materials is recommended in order to determine the minimum proficiency required for Level 1 courses.
Click on ESL courses for more information on the different levels offered and course information.
**Countries include: Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom, and U.S. Virgin Islands.
Student Services Center (SSC), Room 2225
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Evening appointments are available upon request.