The goal of this course is for students to enhance their view of the physical world by allowing them to acquire a basic understanding of modern astronomy using recently available astronomical data. Major topics include constellations, the Sun, stellar types, motions, parallax, magnitudes, luminosity, spectra, classifications, clusters, evolution, quasaurs, nebula, galaxy classification and composition, the Big Band, and cosmology.
This course will focus on conceptual understanding rather than mathematical manipulation. However, as mathematics is the language of science, it is expected that you can perform basic algebraic calculations and recognize basic geometric relations throughout the course.
Welcome to Astronomy 1124 (Fall 2022)
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
For the latest information on the COVID-19 protocols being implemented at COD, click here: Coronavirus Information
Please continue to monitor this space for important information and course and updates. This page will be updated on a regular basis. (Last Update: December 6th, 2022.)
- Be sure to read Chapter 24 for class on Wednesday, December 7th. Be prepared to "celebrate" that material with an Information Festival at the start of class on Wednesday.
- Lecture slides through Monday, December 5th have been made available. Scroll down and click on the desired link. (Remaiing lecture slides will be posted after class on Wednesday December 7th.)
- The Mastering Astronomy Assignment-22: Dark Matter was due on Sunday, December 4th by 11:00 PM. This assignment will remain open until 11:00 PM on Sunday, December 11th. After that, this assignment will no longer be accessible.
- The Mastering Astronomy Assignment-23: Dark Energy was due on Sunday, December 4th by 11:00 PM. This assignment will remain open until 11:00 PM on Sunday, December 11th. After that, this assignment will no longer be accessible.
- The Mastering Astronomy Assignment-24: The Big Bang will be due on Sunday, December 11th by 11:00 PM. This assignment will remain open until 11:00 PM on Tuesday, December 13th. After that, this assignment will no longer be accessible. Note the earlier final cut-off time!
- The Mastering Astronomy Assignment-25: Life in the Universe will also be due on Sunday, December 11th by 11:00 PM. This assignment will remain open until 11:00 PM on Tuesday, December 13th. After that, this assignment will no longer be accessible. Note the earlier final cut-off time!
- Exam 4 covering Chapters 19-23 will take place on Wednesday, December 14th. If you are enrolled in Section 001 (AM class), your exam will start at 9:00 AM. If you are enrolled in Section 002 (PM class), your exam will start at 1:00 PM. The exam will cover Chapters 19-23. A study guide has been posted. Click on the "Study Guide for Exam 4" link below.
- Detailed Class Information (Syllabus)
- Learning Commons Information (with video)
- Summary of Rules for Significant Digits in Calculations (with examples)
- Study Guide for Exam 4
- Black Hole FAQ's (See link under Chapter 20 Lecture Notes)
- Lecture 1 (8/22): Introduction
- Lecture 2 (8/24): Observing the Sky
- Lecture 3 (8/29): Phases of the Moon & Time
- Lecture 4 (8/31): Ancient Astronomy
- Lecture 5 (9/07): The Copernican Revolution
- Lecture 6 (9/14): Fundamentals of Motion
- Lecture 7 (9/19): Energy and Gravity
- Lecture 8 (9-21): Light and Matter
- Lecture 9 (9/26): Understanding Spectra
- Lecture 10 (9/28): Telescopes
- Lecture 11 (10/03): Special Relativity
- Lecture 12 (10/05): General Relativity
- Lecture 13 (10/12): Our Star
- Lecture 14 (10/17): Stellar Properties
- Lecture 15 (10/19): H-R Diagrams
- Lecture 16 (10/24): Stellar Birth
- Lecture 17 (10/26): Low Mass Stellar Evolution
- Lecture 18 (10/31): High Mass Stellar Evolution
- Lecture 19 (11/02): WhiteDwarfs and Neutron Stars
- Lecture 20 (11/07): Black Holes
- Lecture 21 (11/14): Our Galaxy
- Lecture 22 (11/16): Galaxies: Classification and Distances
- Lecture 23 (11/21): The Hubble Law
- Lecture 24 (11/28): Galaxy Evolution
- Lecture 25 (11/30): Dark Matter
- Lecture 26 (12/05): Dark Energy
- Lecture 27 (12/05 & 12/07): The Big Bang (COMING SOON!)
- Lecture 28 (12/07): Life inthe Universe (COMING SOON!)