Counseling, Advising and Transfer Services can help you with career resources, including career exploration and development.
Questions to Consider Before Choosing a Career
Before you determine a career, confirm your alignment with the demands and expectations of your chosen career path. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What motivates you about this career?
- Are you choosing a career path for your parents, for your peers or society, for money or for your own fulfillment?
- Is this career in line with your interests, values, skills and personality?
- What do professionals in this career like and dislike most about their work? Speak with others in the field to better understand the joys and challenges of the profession.
- What challenge excites you the most in your life right now and why? What impact do you want to have on other people's lives or in the world?
- Are you willing to live where the jobs are? Does this career fulfill your financial needs?
Career Research Resources
Start your career search with these online resources.
- What Can I Do With This Major? - Learn typical career areas and types of employers that hire in these fields, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
- Career Coach - Browse careers, programs and take a career assessment.
- College of DuPage Career and College Information Collection - The Career and College Information Collection can help you explore careers and obtain occupational information.
- Explore Health Careers - Explore Health Careers offers information on different types of health care careers that are in demand.
- Illinois Career Information System - The Illinois Career Information System database offers career assessments, information on occupations and career development tools.
- My Next Move - My Next Move can help you search for careers based on your interests.
- O*NET Online - O*NET online provides a complete list of occupations and job descriptions.
Contact InformationCounseling, Advising and Transfer Services
Student Services Center (SSC), Room 3200
Phone: (630) 942-2259
Ask a counselor or program advisor a quick question.
- Main Campus Regular Hours:
- Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- COD Centers Hours