Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance offers various opportunities for non-native students (ESL) to improve their English skills and succeed in their classes. The services are free to currently enrolled COD students.
ELA/ELS Services give students the opportunity to:
- Improve their speaking and listening skills through one-on-one conversations on different topics.
- Learn new vocabulary and practice grammar.
- Overcome the language barrier and gain confidence in their English-speaking skills.
Services by Student Type
ESL Conversation Circles are for ELA students in Levels 5 through 8 and ELS students who want to improve their English-speaking skills. Led by knowledgeable facilitators, Conversation Circles give students an opportunity to discuss a range of topics in smaller groups of three to five, learn new vocabulary, build English speaking confidence and learn more about other cultures.
- In-Person September 11 to December 6
(No classes on November 20 and 22.)
Monday: 6 to 7 p.m.
Wednesday: Noon to 1 p.m.
- Online September 14 to December 7
(No class on November 23.)
Thursday: Noon to 1 p.m.
To receive a Zoom link to the Online Conversation Circle email email@example.com.
Placement Test Preparation
All ELA students enrolled in a COD class can receive up to three ELA Support appointments per week and one appointment per day. Schedule a 45-minute appointment through Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance.
Free ELS appointments are available in conversation, reading, writing and speech. To make an appointment, visit cod.mywconline.com, call (630) 942-3355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Students can also watch an informational video about scheduling an in-person, online, or email appointment.
ELS Conversation Appointments
- Improve speaking and listening skills.
- Develop thinking in English and build English speaking confidence.
- Improve your understanding of new words, complex sentences and grammatical structures.
- Learn to comprehend the main idea.
- Receive feedback and assistance with any kind of writing.
- Get advice on generating ideas and using the right sources.
- Get assistance with writing a speech.
- Receive feedback and advice on a speech or presentation.
College of DuPage ELA Support
Learn more about the English language, technology and culture in the United States through the COD Library. The Library can offer assistance through the use of books, computers, movies and online resources.
Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance