COD Votes is a cross-institutional group of College of DuPage students, staff, faculty, and community members working to increase nonpartisan civic learning and engagement in the democratic process.
This webpage was created by students for students to provide important voting information. It is maintained by the College of DuPage Student Leadership Council.
Interested in joining the effort? Contact Dr. Stephanie Quirk at email@example.com
Fall 2023 Service Learning Placement
College of DuPage students interested in completing service learning requirements by volunteering with COD Votes should contact Dr. Stephanie Quirk firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2023 Events
Constitution Day 2023: An Empowering Approach to Democracy
Gain a better understanding of how the U.S. Constitution shapes our lives during this interactive exploration of the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution, which says:
"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."
Representatives from the Restore Justice Foundation will share stories, explain how a bill becomes a law and teach participants how to build support for issues and work with legislative representatives. Light lunch will be provided. Students who attend the event can earn event attendance credit in the Living Leadership Program.
- Thursday, September 14, 2023
- 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center (HEC), Room 1022
National Voter Registration Day - Voter Registration Tables
Chaps Get Registered. Chaps Vote!! Join the Student Leadership Council, COD VOTES, and the League of Women Voters Glen Ellyn to celebrate National Voter Registration Day. Get registered, check your registration, and sign up to get election reminders 24/7 at cod.turbovote.org
- Tuesday, September 19, 2023
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Tables located in the Student Resource Center (SRC) hallway behind Brew 425 (formerly Starbucks).
Unify America: College Bowl (Virtual Event)
The Unify Challenge College Bowl is a guided video conversation with a student from another university who's different from you. Together, the two of you will talk through a survey about big goals for our country. You'll cover topics like mental health, climate change, policing, student loans, and immigration. No prep is needed! Let's show the nation how student conversations can make a big difference in our country. Students who attend the event can earn event attendance credit in the Living Leadership Program.
- September 26, 27, 28 & Oct 3, 4, 5, 2023
- 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. (pick 1 day and 1 time to attend)
- Virtual Event - sign up: https://www.unifyamerica.org/cod
National Voter Education Week
- October 2 - 6, 2023
- Register to vote or check your registration status using COD's own Turbo Vote website: cod.turbovote.org
"Bridging the Divide" Workshop with Braver Angels
In our current polarized political environment, many people avoid or dread political conversations with friends or family members whose politics differ from their own. Braver Angels Skills for Bridging the Divide Workshops teach skills for having respectful conversations that clarify differences, search for common ground, and affirm the importance of the relationship. They also give participants a safe environment to practice those skills. Students who attend the event can earn event attendance credit in the Living Leadership Program.
- Oct 24 & 26, 2023 from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 p.m. (both sessions required)
- RSVP link: https://lu.ma/BTD930fa23
- Oct 24 & 26, 2023 from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. (both sessions required)
- RSVP link: https://lu.ma/BTD11fa23
- In-Person Workshop, Limited Spaces - RSVP Required at links above
COD Votes Action Plans & Reports
- Action Plan - 2022-2024 ALL IN Challenge
- Report - 2020 Student Voting Rates for College of DuPage
- Report - 2014-2020 Student Voting Rates for College of DuPage
- Action Plan - 2020-2022 ALL IN Challenge
COD Votes ALL IN Challenge Awards
- 2020 Election - Bronze Campus 50%-59% Student Voting Rate
- 2020 Presidential Commitment
- March 19, 2024 – General Primary
- November 5, 2024 – General Election