food pantry image

Homeless and At-Risk Students

In an effort to provide assistance to students experiencing homelessness and in accordance with IL Public Act 102-0083, College of DuPage has designated a liaison to assist enrolled COD homeless students.

If you are at risk or are experiencing homelessness, contact the College of DuPage Homeless Liaison:

Jenny Madsen
Financial Aid Specialist
(630) 942-2304

Resources for Homeless and At-Risk Students

Students in higher education are increasingly struggling to meet basic needs such as stable housing. We provide the most up-to-date state and local resources available to assist College of DuPage students facing homelessness or housing insecurity.

Homeless is defined as a student who does not have a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This includes, but is not limited to, students who:

  •  Are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;
  • Are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative accommodations;
  • Are living in emergency or transitional shelters;
  • Have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designated for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings; or
  • Are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.
  • 360 Youth Services: 360 Youth Services is proud to offer housing to youth experiencing Homelessness. Through their Emergency Youth Shelter, Transitional and Rapid Rehousing Programs, and Cornerstone Group Home, they serve young people ages 18-24 and work side by side with young people to ultimately transition to independence.
  • Bridge Communities: Bridge Communities provides free transitional housing to more than 100 homeless DuPage County families each year. During the two years each family spends in the program, they are able to save money, learn budgeting skills, and obtain better employment, so they can live self-sufficiently once they graduate.
    • Must be over 21 and have at least 1 child under 18.
    • For more information, visit Bridge Communities or call (630) 545-0610.
  • Community Housing Advocacy & Development (CHAD): Offers below market housing to qualified applicants.
    • For more information, visit Chad Housing or call (630) 456-4452.
  • DuPage County Community Services-Homeless Prevention Program: The purpose of this program is to stabilize individuals and families in their existing homes, shorten the amount of time families and individuals stay in shelter, and assist individuals and families with securing affordable housing.
  • DuPage Housing Authority: DuPage Housing Authority is a public housing agency (PHA) that administers the Housing Choice Voucher Program, a federally funded subsidized housing program under the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Housing Choice Vouchers allow income eligible families - including individuals, elderly persons, veterans and persons with disabilities - to live in safe and affordable rental units like single-family homes, apartments, townhouses, mobile homes and some condos and cooperatives.
  • DuPage PADS: provider of interim and permanent housing, coupled with support services in order to help individuals work toward a place to call home – DuPage Pads vital support services enable the individuals they help to receive case management and life coaching, employment support such as GED courses and job coaching, as well as engagement with employers—effectively stopping the cycle of homelessness.
    • For more information, visit DuPage PADS or call (630) 682-3846.
  • Family Shelter Service of Metropolitan Family Services DuPage: Family Shelter Service has answered the call in their community to help victims of domestic violence escape abuse and rebuild their lives.
  • Hesed House – Aurora: Hesed is a comprehensive homeless resource center for counseling, employment and housing assistance serving adults and families.
    • For more information, visit Hesed House or call (630) 897-2156.
  • Homeless Shelter Near Me: Homeless Shelter Near Me provides homeless shelter listings across the United States. For each listing you will find several important pieces of information which includes the business name, the website address, phone number including the area code, physical mailing address along with the map, and finally some recent reviews from other folks who have utilized the shelter.
  • Hope House – DuPage County: The Kathy Paulsen Hope House serves as a 24-hour hotline to assist in locating homeless services in DuPage County. Hope House also provides housing and support services to those who are homeless.
  • ICNA Relief – Illinois: Services include a Women’s Transitional Home, hunger prevention, Back2School Giveaways, Muslim Family Services, health screenings, a mobile clinic, and more.
  • Illinois Housing Development Authority: The Illinois Housing Development Authority finances the construction and preservation of affordable housing throughout Illinois and administers several programs to assist you in locating affordable rental housing that suits your needs.
  • KAN-WIN – Park Ridge (Empowering Women in the Asian American Community): Through the Transitional Housing (TH) Program, KAN-WIN provides a variety of services as survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault strive to establish safe and stable homes free from violence.
  • Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans: The Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans is a non-profit agency that provides housing, supportive services and community outreach to help homeless and at-risk veterans and their families achieve self-sufficiency.
  • Pillars: Through community partnerships and the expertise of compassionate staff and volunteers, they provide comprehensive services to adult and child domestic and sexual violence survivors. This includes emergency shelter, crisis intervention, medical and legal advocacy, counseling, and more.
    • For more information, visit Pillars or call (708) 745-5277.
  • Wheaton Youth Outreach/Jubilee Village – Transitional Housing: The Transitions Program is a critical service for older teens and young adults and their families in DuPage County. It primarily serves young women who are homeless, ages 17 to 24 years old. Jubilee Village is a transitional and independent, supportive housing program for single, formerly homeless mothers between the ages of 18 and 24 and their children.
    • For more information, call (630) 682-1910.
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): Application for federal grants, work-study, and loans.
    • If your financial aid award exceeds the amount you owe the school for tuition and other expenses at the time of disbursement, you may receive a financial aid refund.
    • Unaccompanied Homeless Youth will not be required to add parent information to the FAFSA application.
      • “Homeless” means lacking fixed, regular and adequate housing. You may be homeless if you are living in shelters, parks, motels, hotels, public spaces, camping grounds, cars, abandoned buildings, or temporarily living with other people because you have nowhere else to go. Also, if you are living in any of these situations and fleeing an abusive parent, you may be considered homeless even if your parent would otherwise provide a place to live. “Unaccompanied” means you are not living in the physical custody of your parent or guardian.
      • For more information, visit Student Aid.
  • Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES): Find information about unemployment insurance (UI) and file a claim.
    • For more information, visit IDES.
  • In-District Tuition for Homeless Students: Students struggling with homelessness and working with an in-district housing organization, may qualify for the in-district tuition rate.
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF): Cash assistance can help pay for food, shelter, utilities, and expenses other than medical costs. A small amount of cash assistance is available to people who fit into one of three groups:
    • Low-income pregnant women or families that include at least one dependent child under the age of 18, may qualify for TANF Cash Assistance. TANF is short for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. If someone receives TANF, they also get Medicaid or All Kids health care coverage.
    • Low-income seniors age 65 or older, people who are blind, and people who have a permanent disability may qualify for AABD Cash Assistance. AABD is short for Aid to the Aged, Blind and Disabled. People who qualify for AABD cash assistance also get Medicaid health care coverage.
    • Immigrants with refugee or asylee status may be eligible for cash assistance through the Refugee Resettlement Program (RRP). Refugees may be eligible for assistance up to 8 months after the date of entry into the United States. Asylees may be eligible for assistance up to 8 months after the date asylum is granted. People who qualify for RRP Cash Assistance also get Medicaid health care coverage. People who qualify for TANF or AABD cash assistance do not qualify for RRP cash assistance.
    • For more information, or to complete a general application for benefits visit ABE Illinois.
    • Illinois Department of Human Services Help Line: 1-800-843-6154 or 1-866-324-5553 TTY

College of DuPage Office of Student Records

  • Transcript Fee Waiver: College of DuPage is happy to offer qualifying students a waiver for the cost of a transcript.
  • Petition for Failing Grades: If a student experiences an extenuating circumstance, resulting in an F grade, the Records Office has a procedure in place to allow students to appeal that grade and potentially have it changed to a Withdraw. 
  • For more information, contact Records.

College of DuPage Registration Services

  • Tuition Refund Appeal: If a student needs to withdraw from courses due to an extenuating circumstance, the Office of Student Registration Services offers the opportunity to file an appeal for a refund of tuition paid. 
  • For more information, contact Registration Services.

College of DuPage Veteran Services

  • Textbook Funding: College of DuPage has a program in place to offer emergency textbook funding to qualifying veterans.
  • Meal Voucher: College of DuPage offers on-campus one- time meal vouchers for qualifying veterans.
  • Immediate Need Funding: College of DuPage has a program designed to provide emergency funding for qualifying veterans with an immediate need for assistance. Examples of an immediate need may include funding for appliance repair, transportation costs, and emergency child care.
  • College of DuPage Fuel Pantry: provides food for individuals on campus who may be food-insecure. In order to utilize the Fuel Pantry, students, faculty, and staff will need to present a valid College ID and complete a short registration form. No proof of need is necessary.
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly called Food Stamps). SNAP helps low income people buy the food they need for good nutritional health. If you qualify for SNAP, you will get an Illinois Link card. Each month, the amount of your SNAP benefits will be added to your Link Card account, and you can use it like a debit card to pay for food at most grocery stores.
    • For more information or to complete a general application for benefits (ABE) visit ABE Illinois.
    • Illinois Department of Human Services Help Line: 1-800-843-6154 or 1-866-324-5553 TTY
  • College of DuPage Career Services: Career Services assists students with the job and internship search process by equipping students with the appropriate tools and resources to secure current or future employment.
  • College of DuPage Student Employment: Find out if you are eligible and put student employment to work for you by contacting Human Resources.
  • Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES): Get help finding your next career.
    • For more information, visit IDES.
  • Counseling Services: recommended by COD Counseling and Advising
  • DuPage County Health Department: The DuPage County Health Department (DCHD) aims to protect the health of residents and visitors through services provided.
  • DuPage Health Coalition: a nonprofit organization, operates several programs that keep residents healthy, regardless of their ability to pay. They are a partnership of hospitals, doctors and community organizations working together to offer efficient and effective healthcare, making it easier for low-income families to receive high quality healthcare.
  • Medicaid: Medicaid and All Kids cover health care for low income people of all ages in Illinois. The Illinois Department of Health Care and Family Services (HFS) is committed to improving the health of Illinois' families by providing access to quality health care. This mission is accomplished through HFS Medical Programs that pay for a wide range of health services, provided by thousands of medical providers throughout Illinois, to about two million Illinoisans each year.
    • For more information or to complete a general application for benefits, visit ABE Illinois
    • Illinois Department of Human Services Help Line: 1-800-843-6154 or 1-866-324-5553 TTY
  • Student Health Insurance: College of DuPage is pleased to offer health, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance plans for students and their families. Any student enrolled at COD may participate in the plans.
  • Veterans Health Services:
  • COD Locker Rental: College of DuPage maintains lockers for use by students for the storage of their learning materials and other items related to their studies. Daily-use coin-operated lockers and long-term rental lockers (semester or academic year) are available for student and employee use.
  • Affordable Connectivity Program: Your household may be eligible to receive a monthly discount on a new or existing internet service plan with the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). There are several ways to qualify for the ACP: through your participation in other government programs or based on your annual household income (students receiving Pell Grants are automatically eligible).
  • Library Student Laptop, Mobile Hotspot, and Webcam Requests: The College of DuPage Library provides HP ProBook 440 G7 laptops, Mobile Citizen T9 mobile hotspots with free data service from Sprint, and Logitech HD Pro Webcams.
  • Illinois Action for Children: The Illinois Action for Children's goal is to create a just system for child care and early education that ensures racially and economically equitable outcomes for all children.
  • Metropolitan Family Services – Early Learning and Head Start (Chicago & DuPage County): Metropolitian Family Services offers affordable and accredited educational programs for children ages 6 weeks to 5 years of age.
  • YWCA Family Support Services: YWCA Metropolitan Chicago offers a variety of support services for families. These services include income supports like our Child Care Assistance Program, referrals and resources for parents seeking child care and parenting education and home visits through the Young Parents Program. They are committed to ensuring that families receive all of the support necessary to achieve optimal health and wellness and create economic sustainability.