ELS Placement Policies and Procedures
Any student who has attended U.S. schools for seven years or fewer must take KITE to meet prerequisites. There are two parts to help you find the right classes: KITE Part 1 (Listening, Reading, and Grammar) and KITE Part 2 (Writing and Speaking).
Students who took the ACCUPLACER ELS placement tests before the transition to KITE, can continue to use the ACCUPLACER scores for course placement. Students who have previous ACCUPLACER ELS placement test scores in their student record, can continue to use the ELS ACCUPLACER scores for course placement.
Note: For students applying to a Health Science program, placement tests may be required regardless of exemptions. See program packet for details. Students applying to Engineering Pathways are required to take the math placement test.
English Language Proficiency Tests
- Are you new to College of DuPage?
- Have you attended school in the United States for 7 years or fewer? (kindergarten through 12th grade).
If you answered "yes," you will need to show English language proficiency.
Proof of English Language Proficiency
- TOEFL Score 550 paper/pencil, 213 computer-based, or 79 internet-based
- IELTS Score 6.5+
- Accuplacer Reading 102+ and Language Use 102 + (taken at COD before October 21, 2019)
- College-level credit totaling 12 semester hours with at least a “C” average from a US academic college or university. (Only meets Reading Competency requirement)
- ACT composite score of 20 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- SAT verbal/critical reading score of 500. Proof of score must be provided
- SAT total score of 950. Proof of score must be provided.
Before you test, you might want to
- Practice for the KITE English Language Placement test
- Schedule an appointment with a Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance (WRSA) coach for preparation assistance.
When you are ready to test, go to one of the five testing locations.