COVID 19 Information – English Language Proficiency Tests
- Are you new to College of DuPage?
- Have you attended school in the United States for 7 years or fewer? (kindergarten through 12th grade).
If you answered "yes", you will need to show English language proficiency.
There are 2 ways to show English language proficiency:
1. Submit a test qualifying score from a test you have previously taken and sign up for any class.
- TOEFL Score 550 paper/pencil, 213 computer-based, or 79 internet-based
- IELTS Score 6.5+ 12 or more college-level credits from one of the following countries: The UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand
- Accuplacer Reading 102+ and Language Use 102 + (taken at COD before October 21, 2019)
2. Take a free KITE English Language Placement test from COD and sign up for the classes that the test recommends.
Before you test, you might want to
- Practice for the KITE English Language Placement test
- Attend a placement test information session or schedule an appointment with a Writing, Reading, Speech Assistance (WRSA) coach for preparation assistance.
When you are ready to test, email the Testing Center at email@example.com to request a link to take the test at home.
Note: All College of DuPage testing locations are currently closed due to COVID-19. Because this is an un-proctored test, it is very important to follow certain guidelines.
- Do not use a dictionary or translator.
- Do not use any other websites while taking the test.
- Do not ask your friends or family to help you.
- Do not use any other resources during the test.
- Work alone and do your best so that you can be placed into the right class for your level of English. If you are not placed in the correct class, your instructor may ask you to move to a different class.
After you have taken the KITE English Language Studies Test
Log into myaccess.cod.edu to view your test results. Use the placement chart below to select your classes. For additional help choosing a class, contact Counseling, Advising and Transfer Services at (630) 942-2259.
When registering for English Language Studies classes, you will need to confirm the following:
- I have completed the KITE test by myself without using any outside resources.
- I understand that if my instructor feels that I am misplaced, he or she may ask me to move up or down a level.