The English Language Studies (ELS) program provides academic English language instruction for students whose native language is not English. Students can learn academic English for a degree, job promotion or personal growth.
Steps to Apply
Follow the steps to apply to get started in the ELS program.
- Apply to COD (for United States residents).
- Determine if you can begin a degree program by showing readiness in reading and writing.
- Practice the Kaplan International Tools for English language placement test.
- Take the Kaplan International Tools for English Multiple Choice and Kaplan International Tools for English Writing and Speaking in the Testing Center.
- Meet with counselor or advisor.
- Register for classes.
- Pay for classes.
If you would like to study on an F-1 student visa, there are several documents you need to submit in order to apply to COD. Visit International Admissions for more information.
Once you have applied, you can meet with a counselor and register for classes.
Benefits of ELS
By taking ELS classes, your academic and professional English will improve in the following areas:
Throughout the program, students will work on developing intercultural competence and global leadership skills, as well as practice strategies for lifelong learning.
All classes have 20 students or fewer, are highly interactive and appropriate for all ages 18 and older. Morning and evening classes are available Monday to Thursday.
Students from all over the world choose to enroll in the ELS program because it is affordable and located near Chicago – the third largest city in the United States. Degree-applicable credits can easily transfer to thousands of colleges and universities across the U.S.
For additional information, visit Counseling, Advising and Transfer Services.
Contact InformationCounseling, Advising and Transfer Services
Student Services Center (SSC), Room 3200
Phone: (630) 942-2259
Ask a counselor or program advisor a quick question.
- Main Campus Regular Hours:
- Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- COD Centers Hours