Start your career in the hospitality industry and work in restaurants, hotels, resorts, bed and breakfasts, time shares, condos, retirement communities, convention and visitor bureaus, destination marketing organizations, and event planning companies. The Hospitality Management Associate in Applied Science degree develops the leadership skills and management practices that are valued in the hospitality industry. Certificates in Hospitality Foundations, Hospitality Management, Hospitality Sales and Marketing, and Resort Management are also offered.
Students advance their understanding of hospitality management through a variety of hospitality management courses in accounting, sales and marketing, writing contracts and management.
If you are friendly and energetic, creative, self-motivated, a problem solver and a hands-on participant, then you may be right for a hospitality career.
Determine Your Path
A dynamic and growing industry, hospitality and tourism provides tremendous opportunity for students who enjoy working with people.
Whether you are preparing for a career in hospitality or tourism, planning to transfer or updating your skills, College of DuPage has the right program for you. We offer:
- Dedicated instructors with years of practical industry and teaching experience.
- Flexible schedules with day and evening classes.
- Affordable classes.
- Articulated transfer program with several prestigious institutions.
- Programs designed to prepare students with the skills that are in demand by today’s employers.
- Study Abroad opportunities to locations such as Budapest and Prague.
Hospitality Management, Associate in Applied Science
The Hospitality Management Associate in Applied Science degree develops the leadership skills and management practices that are valued in the hospitality industry. The degree requires a minimum of 64 credits in program requirements, program electives and general education.
The Hospitality Foundations certificate requires 12 credits. Students take classes in Introduction to the Hospitality Industry, Front Office Operations, Supervision in the Hospitality Industry and Quality Management of Service in the Hospitality Industry.
Hospitality Management Operations
The Hospitality Management Operations certificate requires 31 credits. Students take classes in Front Office Operations, Supervision in the Hospitality Industry, Quality Management of Service, Restaurant Service and Sales, Meeting and Event Management and more.
Hospitality Sales and Marketing
The Hospitality Sales and Marketing certificate requires 20 credits in Introduction to the Hospitality Industry, Front Office Operations, Professional Catering & Banquet Management, Meeting and Event Management and Hospitality Marketing Management.
The Resort Management certificate requires 26 credits. Students will learn about meeting the needs of the vacationing guests by offering retail shops, guest activity programming and a complete spa experience.
“I became fully integrated into the world of COD, and it anchored me.” - Bonnie BaileyBonnie's COD Story
"I take great pride in my beginnings, because COD confirmed in my mind that the Hospitality industry was where I wanted to spend my time.” - Gus VonderheideGus' COD Story
"College of DuPage has an excellent program curriculum that allowed me to continue to live at home and work." - Christine PetersenChristine's COD Story
"I was able to get a world-class education from a fantastic academic staff while applying what I was doing in classroom to an industry that I wanted to be a part of." - Roy BeaumontRoy's COD Story
"Being at College of DuPage allows me to combine working at a hotel with preparing students for the industry. I couldn’t ask for a better position.” - Jamie FredericksJamie's COD Story
Get Started Today
The first step to getting started in hospitality management and tourism is to apply for admission.
Academic and Career Pathways give you a roadmap to achieving your career goals. Follow a pathway based on your degree that outlines which classes you need to take and when so you graduate on time or move on to the next phase in your career.
Hospitality and Tourism Program graduates will
- Engage in critical analysis and creative thinking
- Apply the basic principles of analytical thinking and problem solving when examining hospitality management issues
- Analyze trends and organizational data and develop business strategies for the hospitality industry
- Collect and evaluate information to make sound decisions
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate concepts and theories across functional business domains (e.g. Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, Operations, etc.)
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to function effectively in a diverse and global organizational environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in the application of selected technology
- Synthesize core concepts in the areas of hospitality accounting, finance, human resources, marketing, operations, and quantitative methods
- Demonstrate personal and professional standards for ethical decision-making and social behavior
- Evaluate personal and professional goals and development based on perceived strengths and potential for life-long learning
- Demonstrate the ability to read, listen, and clearly express themselves using written, oral, visual, and quantitative methods to communicate effectively with superiors, coworkers, customers, and members of the community
- Demonstrate leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal skills needed for managing diverse and global hospitality operations
College of DuPage has several hospitality management and tourism transfer agreements in place with four-year colleges and universities to save you time, money and make the transfer process easier.
Many of these agreements with other colleges and universities have specific course requirements and a pre-determined course plan that needs to be followed to be eligible to transfer. Contact a program faculty member or academic advisor to learn more as course requirements vary by institution.
Explore careers based on your interest, location and salary range or view top occupations by income.